Top 10 Tourist Places to Visit in Munnar in 2023
Munnar is a charming hill station nestled in the Western Ghats of Kerala, South India. It is a popular tourist destination known for its sprawling tea plantations, misty hills, and serene environment. With its pleasant climate, picturesque landscapes, and diverse flora and fauna, Munnar is an ideal destination for nature lovers, adventure enthusiasts, and those seeking a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of city life. In this region, visitors can explore national parks, wildlife sanctuaries, waterfalls, and dams, as well as indulge in activities such as trekking, boating, and tea plantation visits. Munnar is truly a paradise for those seeking a rejuvenating break amidst nature’s splendour. Here are the top 10 best places to visit in Munnar:
Eravikulam National Park: This national park is home to several endangered species of flora and fauna, including the Nilgiri Tahr, a rare species of mountain goat.
- Ticket Price: Rs. 65 for Indian citizens and Rs. 245 for foreign nationals
- Timings: Everyday timings will be 07:30 AM to 04:00 PM
Mattupetty Dam: It is a beautiful dam situated near the tea gardens and the Shola forests. The dam offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Ticket Price: Entry Fee- Rs. 10 per person, boating charges- Rs. 500 (for 15 minutes)
- Timings: Everyday time will be 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Tea Museum: The museum showcases the history of tea cultivation in Munnar and the various processes involved in making tea. It is a must-visit for tea lovers.
- Ticket Price: Rs. 75 per adult, Rs. 35 for children. for a camera charge will be Rs. 20.
- Timings: Everyday time will be 09:00 AM to 04:00 PM. Except on Mondays
Top Station: It is the highest point in Munnar and offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Entry fee : Free
- Timings: Timings will be 07:00 AM to 07:00 PM on everyday
Echo Point: As the name suggests, this place is known for its echo phenomenon. Visitors can shout out their names and hear their echoes reverberating back.
Kundala Lake: It is a serene lake located in the midst of the tea plantations. Visitors can enjoy boating and other water activities here.
- Entry fee : Free
- Timings: Everyday timings will be 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM
Anamudi Peak: It is the highest peak in South India, and trekking to the summit is a popular activity among adventure enthusiasts.
- Timings: 8:00 AM – 4:30 PMon every day
- Entry fee : Rs. 125 per person for Indians and Rs. 420 for Foreign Nationals.
Attukal Waterfalls: It is a picturesque waterfall located amidst lush green forests and tea plantations. It is a great place to relax and unwind.
- Timings: Everyday timings will be 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Entry fee : Rs. 100 per head
Pothamedu View Point: It is a popular viewpoint that offers stunning views of the tea plantations and the misty hills.
Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary:
Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary is located 18 km north of Marayoor on State Highway 17, in the Marayoor and Kanthalloor panchayats of Devikulam taluk in Kerala’s Idukki district. It is one of 18 wildlife sanctuaries in Kerala’s protected regions.
It is a wildlife sanctuary located on the Tamil Nadu-Kerala border. Visitors can spot several species of animals and birds here, including elephants, leopards, and grizzled giant squirrels.
- Timings : 8.00 am – 2.00 pm
- Entry fee: INR 10 per person for adults and INR 5 per person for children below 12 years of age.